The Waiheke Sea Scouts den or hall is known as “The Ship”. It’s a great venue for our groups to meet in and we have amazing views across the harbour and out towards the Hauraki Gulf.
We do allow hall hire for private functions such as kids birthday parties, club meetings, yoga/dance classes and more – when it is not in use by our groups. It has some limitations as a private function venue (e.g., use of public toilets in the reserve, no wastewater system, noise limitations).
Generally, it is available at weekends and the occasional mid-week evening, and also during school and term holidays.
The process for hiring the hall is as follows;
- Make an Email enquiry (see below) in the first instance – provide your dates, number of guests and hall hire usage / reason.
- Hall Hire applications are considered monthly at the committee meeting and approved or denied based on the type of request
- Applications are on a 1st come 1st served basis (in case of date clash)
- There may be an agreement form that needs to be completed and a bond payable.
Facilities at The Ship
- Kitchen and large hall (see pics below)
- Kitchen has small fridge, electric hot water (oversink type), electric cooker, dishwasher, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery for approx 10 – 20 persons.
- Rainwater tank – should be safe for drinking – but for peace of mind, either boil it before drinking or bring your own drinking water.
- Outside unisex (public) toilet accessible across the grass
- There are no showers but you can BYO portable solar shower and use down on the beach (30 seconds away)
- Access to beach directly behind our den / down steps
- No slipway (nearest slipways is up the road at Wharf rd or via beach access from Shelly Beach)!
- Camping is possible in the grass area adjacent to the den.
- Parking on the road – limited parking.
Hall Hire Rules
1) In short – behave as you would in your own home. If you respect these rules, all will be well – if you don’t we will hold you accountable …. PLEASE Respect our hall and all items within it. Declare and pay for any damages, be responsible at all times and ensure any guests you may have behave properly.
2) Where possible we will of course try to respect your booking – however, if the committee deems it necessary or appropriate, we reserve the right to cancel or curtail any booking – even at short notice – though it’s highly unlikely if there’s no issues / problems / complaints etc.
3) No excessive noise, especially after 9pm – this is a quiet neighbourhood.
4) No commercial (charged for) activities permitted without our written permission.
5) No smoking anywhere within the building or out on the deck – smoking only permitted in the grass reserve area – ensure butts are disposed of responsibly and not left in the grass please.
6) No cooking anywhere except in the kitchen or on the BBQ – that means NO FIRES anywhere, no camping stoves, no candles / naked flames whatsoever – except the provided BBQ (outside only). Yes we are paranoid about fire.
7) Any liquid spillage / breakages must be thoroughly cleaned and absolutely no glass fragments are left ANYWHERE either in the hall or outside on the deck or on the grass and no “alcohol / beer” smells in the hall.
8) Bring your own rubbish bags and tea towels etc. Take ALL YOUR RUBBISH away with you and put in public bins – DO NOT leave inside or outside the hall.
9) Ensure the kitchen and hall is left tidy and clean (sweep and mop floors etc) and all doors and windows are closed and secured. Water heater / heater in the hall is OFF and the key is back in the lock box.
10) If possible, avoid ‘High Heels’ or other damaging footwear on the wooden floor…. Optional – but we’d prefer it if you “take off your shoes” when on the wooden floor!
- We accept no liability whatsoever for any loss you may incur, whether through fault of your own or not. We recommend that you keep all valuables with you.
- We are all volunteers. There may not be anyone available to assist you before, during or after your event. However, please feel free to contact us if urgent.
- Hireage fees are usually based on KOHA – depending on the nature of the event. To enquire about rates and availability, contact us for more information