The Waiheke Sea Scouts den or hall is known as “The Ship”. It’s a great venue for our groups to meet in and we have amazing views across the harbour and out towards the Hauraki Gulf.
We do allow hall hire for private functions such as kids birthday parties, club meetings, yoga/dance classes and more – when it is not in use by our groups. It has some limitations as a private function venue (e.g., use of public toilets in the reserve, no wastewater system, noise limitations).
Generally, it is available at weekends and the occasional mid-week evening, and also during school and term holidays.
The process for hiring the hall is as follows;
- Make an Email enquiry (see below) in the first instance – provide your dates, number of guests and hall hire usage / reason.
- Hall Hire applications are considered monthly at the committee meeting and approved or denied based on the type of request
- Applications are on a 1st come 1st served basis (in case of date clash)
- There may be an agreement form that needs to be completed and a bond payable.
Facilities at The Ship
- Kitchen and large hall (see pics below)
- Kitchen has small fridge, electric hot water (oversink type), electric cooker, dishwasher, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery for approx 10 – 20 persons.
- Rainwater tank – should be safe for drinking – but for peace of mind, either boil it before drinking or bring your own drinking water.
- Outside unisex (public) toilet accessible across the grass
- There are no showers but you can BYO portable solar shower and use down on the beach (30 seconds away)
- Access to beach directly behind our den / down steps
- No slipway (nearest slipways is up the road at Wharf rd or via beach access from Shelly Beach)!
- Camping is possible in the grass area adjacent to the den.
- Parking on the road – limited parking.
Hall Hire Rules
- We accept no liability whatsoever for any loss you may incur, whether through fault of your own or not. We recommend that you keep all valuables with you.
- We are all volunteers. There may not be anyone available to assist you before, during or after your event. However, please feel free to contact us if urgent.
- Hireage fees are usually based on KOHA – depending on the nature of the event. To enquire about rates and availability, contact us for more information