Join us for an information evening and find out all about the Waiheke Sea Scouts.
- When: 7pm – 7:30pm February 2nd 2022
- Where: “The Ship” (The Ship is our Scout Hall located end of Shelley Beach Road – parking is limited so maybe ride with a friend?)
- Note 1: The WSS Committee will meet 7:30pm-9pm so hang around and shake hands if you’d like to meet them.
Waiheke Sea Scouts New Families Evening
Parents have choices about which activities their kids will do outside of school and there are plenty of options.
In your decision to join the Waiheke Sea Scouts, there are some commitments for parents and children to consider.
1) How do you and your child get started?
- For children, the minimum involvement is our weekly 1.5 hour Parent Leader-run sessions.
- Each parent is expected to co-lead one event per term alongside one of our certified Scouts NZ parent leaders.
- Fees run from $85 – $115 per child per term for 4 terms over the year.
- Invoices are due one term prior and currently enrolled members have preference. There is a short waiting list for the Cubs group in 2022 while (currently) Keas, Scouts and Venturers have availability.
- 2-week mid-term ‘try-outs’ may be possible — ask the section leader. After 2 weeks, the full term fee will be due, so you may wish to join the following term to gain the full value of term fees.
- Parents meet during the first week of every term to plan activities — all welcome. Parent Leaders are all volunteers and pay full fees for their children too.
2) Which trips are you keen on?
You can choose each trip as it fits with other after-school activities. Please note all mentioned costs are estimates. Combined with term fees, our total programme may cost up to $1600 per year. We understand family budgets are tight, so we have provided these estimates for you to gauge your choices. Fundraising events may be initiated by any parent and designated to a trip — if interested, please contact us.
- Rotoroa Island Apr or May — 2 nights — $150 per person (estimate)
- Ruapehu Hut Sept — 3 nights (older kids may stay longer) — $800 for 1 child and 1 adult included (estimate)
- Moana Camp on Manukau Harbour in November (Cubs only) — 2 nights — $180 per child plus $80 per adult helper (estimate)
- Motuihe 2022 — 3 nights (older kids may stay longer) — $220 for 1 child and 1 adult included (estimate) plus $120 per person for additional nights
Parent Leaders Certified by Scouting NZ receive discounted rates for all trips as a tiny token of appreciation for their work planning, assessing risk and taking safety measures — this amounts to over a hundred hours each year for key Parent Leaders. If you’d like to become a Certified Leader or just help out please contact us.
3) Which training can you do as a parent?
Parents get training primarily to keep our kids safe, and to gain activity-based skills. Training occurs on the mainland with larger Scouts NZ venues, although we will bring trainers to Waiheke if there is a large number of parents interested in a course.
First-Aid Course — 8 hours (estimate)
Kayak and Canoe Leadership — 8 hours (estimate)
Group Facilitation — 4-8 hours (estimate)
Learn to Sail (basics) — 8-12 hours (estimate)
If you have any questions or concerns please join this meeting (no RSVP necessary – just turn up!) or ask us anything using the Contact form on this website.
We look forward to meeting you.