Waiheke Cubs are the “in betweeners” – that is, they are in between the KEAS (ages 5-8) and the Scouts (12-15).
CUBS are boys and girls usually aged 8 – 11 years. CUBS can come along for a trial visit and need to be enrolled after a successful initial visit.
Once cubs have parents have signed up, parents are asked to contribute with fundraising efforts and / or by running or helping to run at least one session per term, with the Leader present.
When is Cubs on?
The date and time of cubs is decided by the current Leaders and these times and days can vary a bit depending on the seasons and daylight savings, or if we have special later afternoon or evening activities. When that happens, the leaders will communicate it to the group.
To find out our current dates and times, please get in touch
We do a wide range of activities – all with an emphasis on achieving badges and a wide exposure to different skills and experiences. Most importantly, we want it to be as much FUN as possible and a place where our tamariki can thrive, make friends and enjoy safe, rewarding challenges.
You can read more about CUBS on the National Scout NZ website here
As well as sailing (along with the Scouts when weather permits), here are some activities we do:
- Ambulance station visit
- Fire station visit
- Police station visit
- Library Tech Night
- Computer coding
- Terracotta pot painting
- Tree planting / Seed planting
- Beach litter clean ups
- Bush walks / Beach walks
- Oyster farm trip
- Engine Mechanics and Tesla car/ self driving trip
- Onetangi Sports Park games and walks
- Safe Bike Riding
- Games and art / craft activities
- Bush Bivvy Building
- Kayaking / Sailing (weather permitting)
- Camping and outdoor adventures
- Trips to town / climbing etc
Annual Cubs Camp
One of the highlights for CUBS is the annual Cubs Camp that usually takes place in November at the West Auckland Motu Moana (dedicated NZ Scout Campsite). There are also usually Summer Camps that typically runs in mid Jan – in previous years we have visited Whakanwha CampGround, Motuihe Island, and Motutapu.
Activities at camp are often based around a “theme” and include a number of ‘bases’ where different activities are run. These can be anything from abseiling, to kayaking, flying fox, horse-riding, flax weaving, swimming, mini Olympics and of course lots of eating and having fun.
Could you help run Cubs?
We are a 100% local parent led and self funded group. We welcome interest from new potential Leaders and Parent Helpers!
- Being a helper or Leader is very rewarding as you are able to help and empower the youth in our community and have fun doing it.
- You will have access to the Waiheke Sea Scouts hall and all equipment in it, along with access to many friendly humans that have a wide range of skills.
- You would become part of the wider Scouts group “family” that includes Cubs, Scouts and Venturers.
- You will also be fully supported and helped with ideas on things to run and activities to do – there are heaps of exciting things!
- You would probably need to give about 3 hours per week, and it may be possible to share the role with other Leaders.
- Each week, Leaders and Parent Helpers run a session of around 90 minutes. The session content can be anything from bush walks, to getting creative and making things at The Ship (our Scout Hall). There is a weekly session plan outline that you can follow if you wish (published by SCOUTSNZ each term) and you can add your own style to it.
Joining Waiheke Cubs
Interested to join Waiheke cubs? get in touch to find out more. Important Note: Some sections may already be full. To avoid disappointment, please get in touch with us BEFORE you register. If the section you would like to join is already full, we will invite you to join our waiting list so that we can be in touch when places become available.
Numbers are limited due to the lack of parent Warranted Leaders. More Warranted Leaders are needed – so if you can volunteer to become a Leader, your child or children will go to the top of the queue.
If you can’t become a Leader, and there are currently no spaces available, we can happily put you on the waiting list and let you know when a space becomes available.