The focus for our Scouts group is around water activities – including sailing, knowledge of watercraft, swimming, kayaking, rowing and learning about seamanship (knots, what to wear to keep safe etc.)
We also enjoy a lot of land based activities such as tramping, camping, biking, craft, photography, skiing or pioneering!
Generally speaking, the water activities tend to occur more in the warmer months, with more inside activities happening during the winter months.
We have some wonderfully knowledgeable and skilled Leaders who run these activities – but we are always looking for more helpers and leaders!
Scouts get up to all sorts of exciting and fun things! As much outdoor activities as possible and of course in the warmer weather – usually from around October through to late Autumn – we’ll be out on the water as much as possible. You can read more about SCOUTS on the National Scout NZ website here
Here is a sample of a typical plan for Waiheke Sea Scouts section:
- All Feb: Water activity Kayaking or Sailing.
- 2 March – High tide. Wear appropriate water activity clothing (as discussed with your children). List will be provided
- 6-8 March – Trip to the Kai Iwi lakes for sailing Regatta. All scout invited. You will have already replied if your Scout is intending to go
- 9 March – Low tide. Wear uniform. Badgework –> your Scout is working towards their Boatman and Oarsman award
- 16 March – High tide. Water activity Kayaking or Sailing
- 23 March – Low tide. Wear uniform. Camp preparation night – we have a camp at Easter. Discussion & practical evening around kit, menus, camp fire cooking etc
- 30 March – High tide. Water activity Kayaking or Sailing
- 3 – 6 April – Easter Sailing Camp.
- 12 April – Tramping / Hiking trail planning
- 19 April – Bivouac building (survival shelter)
Scout Leaders / Sailors Needed
We are always looking for new people to help out at Scouts. Whether you would like to become a Scout Leader or just a parent volunteers to help out on sailing days / afternoons – all enquiries are welcome.
Even a little help with making hot drinks, providing biscuits/cake and moral support! This is especially needed on the water activity nights. If you are able to help with this, then please get in touch.
Scouts Waiheke are always looking for new Leaders. You will be fully supported in your journey and you would need to give around 3 hrs per week – and the role would be shared with other Leaders.
Important Note: Some sections may already be full. To avoid disappointment, please get in touch with us BEFORE you register. If the section you would like to join is already full, we will invite you to join our waiting list so that we can be in touch when places become available.